10 most difficult monuments riddlesMonuments quiz
What is contained in the 13th century Paris Codex?
description of Chinese medicine
census of rulers of ancient Egypt
divination and ceremonies in Galicia
description of Mayan religious rituals
The Paris Codex is devoted almost entirely to Mayan ritual and ceremony and is one of three surviving generally accepted pre-Columbian Maya books dating to the Period of Mesoamerican chronology (c. 900–1521 AD). The codex largely relates to a cycle of thirteen 20-year k'atuns and includes details of Maya astronomical signs.
Where is this monument located?
The Palace of the Grand Master of the Knights of Rhodes also known as the Kastello, is a medieval castle in the city of Rhodes, on the island of Rhodes in Greece. It is one of the few examples of Gothic architecture in Greece. The site was previously a citadel of the Knights Hospitaller that functioned as a palace, headquarters, and a fortress.
Where is the largest known ancient Egyptian obelisk located?
The unfinished obelisk in Aswan, Egypt is nearly one-third larger than any ancient Egyptian obelisk ever erected. If finished it would have measured around 42 m and would have weighed nearly 1,090 tons.
How many "palaces" are there in Venice?
In the years of splendor in Venice there was a law that allowed only one building to wear the name of the palace - it was the Doge's Palace, the residence of the rulers of Venice. The rich Venetian families lived according to this law in the so-called houses (Casa abbreviated Ca). Currently, most residences of Venetian patricians carry the word "palace" in their name, although there are exceptions and some Venetian monuments are still called according to old traditions, eg Ca'Rezzonico or Ca 'd'Oro. Over 100 survived to modern times.
Where in India is the Ambavilas Palace located?
Mysore is commonly described as the "City of Palaces", and there are seven palaces including this one. The current structure was constructed between 1897 and 1912, after the Old Palace was burnt ablaze. Ambavilas Palace is one of the most famous tourist attractions in India, after the Taj Mahal, with more than 6 million annual visitors.
What mosque is that?
The Selimiye Mosque in Edirne
The Suleymaniye Mosque in Istanbul
The Yeni Mosque in Istanbul
The Sokollu Mehmet Pasa Mosque in Istanbul
The Selimiye Mosque is an Ottoman imperial mosque, which is located in the city of Edirne, Turkey. The mosque was commissioned by Sultan Selim II, and was built by architect Mimar Sinan between 1569 and 1575. It was considered by Sinan to be his masterpiece and is one of the highest achievements of Islamic architecture.
Which of the architectural orders was developed last?
The Corinthian order is the last developed of the three principal classical orders of ancient Greek and Roman architecture. It is the most ornate of the orders. Its style is characterized by slender fluted columns and elaborate capitals decorated with acanthus leaves and scrolls. The oldest known example of a Corinthian column is in the Temple of Apollo Epicurius at Bassae in Arcadia, c. 450–420 BC.
This ancient theatre is located nearby the sanctuary dedicated to the ancient Greek God of medicine, Asclepius. Where would you find it?
The Ancient Theatre of Epidaurus is considered to be the most perfect ancient Greek theatre with regard to acoustics and aesthetics. It hosted music, singing and dramatic games that were included in the worship of Asclepius. Today, the monument attracts a large number of visitors and is used for the performance of ancient drama plays.
Which pianist is this a monument?
Glenn Herbert Gould (1932-1982) was a Canadian pianist who became one of the best-known and celebrated classical pianists of the 20th century. He was renowned as an interpreter of the keyboard works of Johann Sebastian Bach. His playing was distinguished by remarkable technical proficiency and capacity to articulate the polyphonic texture of Bach's music.
This is one of the largest Orthodox churches in the world. Where is it located?
The Church of Saint Sava is a Serbian Orthodox church located in Belgrade. It is dedicated to Saint Sava, the founder of the Serbian Orthodox Church, and an important figure in medieval Serbia. From its location, it dominates Belgrade's cityscape, and is perhaps the most monumental building in the city.